Friday, February 25, 2011

Where it hurts

I have a very time figuring out the inner-workings of my three lovely, mischevious little sisters. And apparently, it seems I am not the only one.

My little campanero is funny and adorable. She is also fairly disobedient. Most of the time, I find her delightful, but sometimes I find the lack of obedience very trying. Honestly, I don't know what to do. Of course, it's never been anything horrible or dangerous, but sometimes it can be the small, little things that are the most frustrating. For instance, the other day at church, I allowed her to look through my bible. After a while, my very polite younger brother asked if he also could use my bible. Since she had already had a turn, it seemed perfectly reasonable that she would be willing to give it away for a few moments. However, that didn't happen. I had to chase her around the pews (not that there were very many- it's a very small chuch) and she did that little, "sit down, refuse to stand back up again" thing. I guess I'm realizing that it's hard to be a parent.

However, I also have to remember that she is very new, very young, and potentially very wounded. When she wakes up wimpering twice in one night, I get a small glimpse into her pain- a pain that really isn't evident at any other time of day. And it is here that I'm realizing that we are all very young and very wounded, probably because life isn't as easy as even the very blessed expect.

Nevertheless, it is good.

I remember reading once that the very famous, "come to me" verse in Matthew was not correctly translated. Instead of, "my yoke is easy, and my burden is light," it is supposed to say, "my yoke is good and my burden is light."

I think I'd have to agree. Life, even with Jesus, is never easy. Not for me... not for my family... not for my little companero. But I can promise you in absolute confidence that it is good, and that God is infinitely gentle.

Then sings my soul, my Savior, God to thee,
How great thou art.
How great thou art!

Many blessings, Kristi

1 comment: